Pages

Jan 31, 2011

hard rock story; tragedy or comedy, when the memory of life flashes in our minds


"You know, I've been thinking. Everything is... just comes together. It's me. I chose this. I chose all this. This rock... this rock has been waiting for me my entire life. It's entire life, ever since it was a bit of meteorite a million, billion years ago. In space. It's been waiting, to come here. Right, right here. I've been moving towards it my entire life. The minute I was born, every breath that I've taken, every action has been leading me to this crack on the out surface"
a quote from the Academy Award nominated movie, 127 Hours. Not sure if it was in the autobiography it was based on, but in the movie it is one of the memorable scene other than the Super Mario get gold coin sound effect. u can listen to the sound before u watch the movie, in fact i would recommend it because u will notice where it was used. but if u dont want spoiler, dont go beyond


blame it on my perverse sadism, appetite for blood or the emotional capacity of men(a teaspoon?) but i cannot stop laughing at that scene.

now back to the quote. in that scene, the protagonist's life flashes through his mind as he approached probably the metaphorical end of his life(?) and surely the end of the movie and his ordeal. at this moment he finally accepted the reality and that it was caused by his own actions, and so it was up to him to get out of it. in less poetic words of Aron Ralston himself in a 2003 interview;
How did you finally decide to start cutting? “After having enough sleepdeprived, meandering thoughts about how I arrived in the canyon, I realized that [my situation] was the result of decisions that I had made. I chose to go out there by myself. I chose to not tell anyone where I was going. I chose not to go with [two climbers] I had met in the canyon [on the first day].But I also realized that I had made all of the choices up to that point that had helped me survive. I took responsibility for all of my decisions, which helped me take on the responsibility of getting myself out.”
but ultimately what make him cut his hand when he did was a vision of a one-armed man scooping up a 3 years old child in a living room. the live he was yet to live and the possibility of the future. in the movie it was mentioned that his premonition came true, but the vision that he saw scene was a bit confusing and does not really show him(it is James Franco playing with the child) were amputated. so i missed it at first.

he is an inspirational courageous person. now we move on from the movie but not without a few more remarks. the movie makes canyoneering looks like a very good way to spend a weekend, minus the boulder crushing the forearm of course. n if i ever go on a serious hike, remind me to bring my scalpel. maybe a small hammer would be a good idea.

now to the tragedy or comedy part. i wondered if my life ever flashes through my mind, what would it be?

for those who do not know the differences between a tragedy or comedy, a comedy ends with the protagonist(s) getting hitched and live happily ever after (e.g A Midsummer's Night Dream), while tragedy is where the protagonist(s) die happily or die miserably(e.g Romeo and Juliet).

i want it to be a comedy as i want to get a family but most probably it will be a tragedy. most tragedy are more preferable to be called an art masterpiece anyway. another reason is that i always figured that my lifetime is either die young or live forever.

actually i do not really care about my story anyway. never were really a protagonist material. i am too chaotic(unpredictable) and morally ambiguously to be an effective protagonist. what i am is the scene stealing antagonist/supporting character/villain/lover that serves as a plot point in ur life storieS. note the 's'. it is in plural form. as in many life storieS. so i'll be in both tragedies and comedies not to mention every alternative sub-genres ever existed.

for example, in the aforementioned movie i will be the young woman's boobs (.)(.) in the recording when he paused and tried to... but then did not... talking about sailors in the sea situation. to his defense maybe he just want to recycle some edible protein he knew he could produce. i wonder if the real Aron Ralston really did that? or maybe the other scene stealer, the super mario brothers coin sound effect.

yes i am saying that i will be a scene stealer in ur own storieS. yours, yours, yours and maybe yours. not u, ur life is too boring. for those interesting people who are lucky enough to get even remotely acquainted with me, i am so sorry for stealing the spotlight in ur own 'flashing memories' before u die moment. i know u cant blame me cause u just cant help it, it is ur memory not mine.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your post on this. =P This movie touches my heart a lot!

    ReplyDelete